Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy October

Produce stand in our display window for Fall.
We love to decorate for the seasons here on the Square in Callie Magee Antiques.

The Fair on the Square was a success on Sat.
last. If you missed it this year, put it on your calendar for next year, the first Sat. in October.

It is wonderful to see the colors of Fall with orange, yellow, gold, and reds. The window on the side we decorated as a pumpkin patch with my husband's fake squirrel in the middle. It was broken a while back by my niece, but James glued him together again and has had him sitting on the counter for ages now. A man wanted to buy it one day even knowing it was broken and reglued but when we were negotiating over a price my husband came back and found out I was going to sell it and said no, he is not for sale.
So he is a permanent fixture here at the store. And now it appears he is branching out to being a model for the display windows also.

I always think of the Autumn Leaves song when Autumn arrives. It is a time of reflecting back on the summer which is usually full of fun and reunions and time off. And it is a time of memories for me. The older I get the more I like to revisit those memories. Is that a normal part of aging?
I normally do not feel those years, 60 of them, but during this time of year they intrude on the present. Times like when my sister Joyce and cousins Christine and Charles and Albert raked up leaves for our parents in our yard, not knowing it was a ploy just to keep us all busy for them to visit for awhile uninterrupted. After we all did a great job of raking we all ran and jumped in the middle and then had to repeat the process. We were young then. Charles was later killed in Vietnam. Christine is living here again in Huntsville, as well as Albert. Full circle.
Our own kids do not even know each other, probably would not recognize each other passing.
But we were all so close then.

For all the customers who have come in this year, and become friends in the process, I would like to thank you for making the effort to come and see us here. Some have read my blogs, some have seen my name in Romantic Homes magazine as a distributor, and some have been referred.
For whatever reason they came, we have enjoyed their stories and experiences as well.

The following is a poem that I found in the Seven Hundred Album Verses book by J.S.Ogilvie from 1884 that I have used before here:

" Farewell, oh farewell, but whenever you give,
A thought to the days that are gone,
Of the bright sunny things that in memory live,
Let a thought of the writer be one.

Ye flowers that droop,forsaken by the spring,
Ye birds that, forsaken by the summer, cease to sing;
Ye trees that fade when autumn heats remove,
Say, is not absence death to those who love?"

Have a blessed Autumn,
Lois










No comments: